Follow-up after Shunting

Follow-up after shunting. In childhood almost 90 % of the patients remain shunt-dependant. In almost 10 %, the shunt stops functioning due to growth without obvious clinical signs of shunt dysfunction; approximately half of these 10 % are shunt-independant and have an arrested hydrocephalus. The other half may even after years decompensate and develop signs of shunt dysfunction like the other 90 % in case of shunt insufficiency.